Sunday, October 12, 2008


Building a house is hard. Building a house with 3 kids in tow is even harder. Ty wants to throw dirt on anything that looks nice, Meg wants to do gymnastics on all the hanging beams, and Roc wants to eat nails. He is forced to throw back the ones he collect each trip and screams the whole way to the car, forcing me to ask, "What am I doing?"
But unlike most moms, I'm the mom that says, 'Shop at Costco with the 3 of my kids? Sure. I can do anything." Then half way through our costco trip, I'm ready to lose my mind. Specially when I only need three things but must stroll through the whole store so we can stop at every sample station (four times) where the working ladies think I must not feed my children and come to costco for the complimentary food. (There is some thruth to that; why go at 10am when the samples aren't set up yet, when we can go later at snack for free?)
Dinners and lunches and snacks are whatever is on hand. Like last week I think my kids ate pretzels and apples dipped in peanut butter (they'll eat anything if they can 'dip' it) for lunch and dinner. My friend Silvia mentioned to my son, Ty, that her kids get pancakes, egg sandwiches and french toast for breakfast on school days, feeling guilty when she must give her kids cereal on days they are rushed. That's all my kids get for breakfast, cereal. And sometimes there's a comment and a loathy sigh, "Wonder what Silvia is feeding her kids this morning?" To which I ingore the comment and then it's followed by a "Don't you feel guilty mom?" Then I laugh and have to tackle him, reminding him that at least he's getting fed.
Course I do think of Silvia and wonder how I can fit driving my her house in my morning routine to see if she can feed us all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Laurie you are the best. Good luck with everything.

PS - whats the deal with your Bookie Mom stuff??? I was loving that. Hope you will do some more.