Wednesday, March 10, 2010

"Choosing Battles"

There are those that actually care how they look in the morning because they think others will judge them.  I am not one of them.  As my husband would say, "You don't care what others think do you?"  No.  I'm not perfect in any way, but I do know my inside is more beautiful than I could ever try to match on the outside.

This world is not a beauty contest and if I'm leasurly dropping my kids off at school, wearing oversized old blue sweats and a unmatching green baseball hat with a few holes doesn't faze me one bit.  

Same goes for my kids.  When my six year old girl wants to wear that red sweater and blue shorts cause she think she look amazing...fantastic!  "White tights and sandals are the new style," she tells me....great!  I don't care what my kids wear; unless we're going to church.  Then I pick. 

Hair?  If someone won't let me brush their hair....oh well.  I don't.  Moms have to choose their battles and that's one I'm not challenging.  If someone comments or judges me...so what?   It's my life and my family.  My daughter will still go to college if she had messy hair in grammar school.  But if I repeat, argue or nag at her for 20 minutes, my throat may hurt and she, as well as my other kids, all go to school a bit rattled because of ....hair?

This morning in my blue sweats and grey hat I noticed a raggly-looking head of hair walking to school.  I looked up at the Mom of four and joked about her child, "I love her hair!"  She said, "I have to choose my battles and that's one I don't really care about."

YEAH!!!  See?  I knew I wasn't alone!

No comments: